The Story Behind the Sans Souci Palace
The Sans Souci Palace is an iconic building of Buenos Aires and Argentina.
Its architecture was inspired by the Renaissance style of Versailles.
It was built between 1914 and 1918 and inaugurated with a grand soirée attended by the whole society.
It was built based on the plans of the illustrious French architect René Sargent, who also built the Bosh Palace (Headquarters of the U.S. Embassy) and the Errázuris Palace where today we can find the Decorative Art Museum.
Over forty years ago, the Palace was bought by the Durini family. Immediately after the acquisition, the architect M. Josefina Barra de Durini initiated the restoration works.
Since the 18th Century, the Durini family has resorted to the patronage service for the art and restoration of monuments, for instance for the Durini Palace, in Milan; the cardinal Durini's Palace overwatching the Major lake; and for a great amount of works and monuments in America when part of the family decided to move to the new world.
Brothers Hugo and Eduardo Durini deemed the restoration of the Sans Souci Palace a worthy challenge since it is deemed one of Argentina's key monuments, and its designer, the architect René Sargent, the very best of his time.
When in the 60's the Architect Josefina Barra de Durini took up the works of the recently acquired Palace, the conditions of the building fell short of her expectations. But, once the restoration was completed, the Palace recovered its past glory.
Before and After the Restoration
The Municipality of San Fernando
In 1805, a big flood destroyed each and every house of the people that lived at the Las Conchas port and in the nearby islands of the delta of the Paraná river.
After arriving to the destroyed place, Viceroy Sobremonte founded a small town that he would name "San Fernando de Buena Vista" (Good View San Fernando), located on the slope of the river banks, where the victims of the flood began to gather and settle.
Later on, the Viceroy made his best effort to develop the small town into a town since it already had a population of 304 inhabitants. To these effects, on February 2, 1806, Sobremonte placed the foundation stone of the Parish Church "Nuestra Sra. de Aránzazu" at the main square, close to the town hall.
The Municipality of San Fernando not only covers dry land but also the islands that end at the Paraná river, offering a huge variety of wild fauna and flora, deemed a component of the "Ecosistema de La Cuenca Del Plata (Ecosystem of The Basin of the Plata)".